Jan 1, 2009

My Shiny New Year

2009 has arrived and I don’t feel much different than I did in 2008. Except for the staying up to midnight part, it is just Thursday today (with no work, yay!). And therein lies my problem. I’ve become less enamored to the charms of the holiday season….or as I like to call it the Holiday Vortex. HolVor is no doubt a special time of year when usual schedules and rules don’t apply.

For example, take this week. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday followed by Saturday which is followed by a Monday and then another Saturday. No wonder I scratch my head each day and search out the newspaper to figure out what day it is. What I should do is pin a note to myself with the day written on it.

I’ve eaten my weight in holiday cookies. Plus I’ve had more meals after 8pm than the typical European. (How do they do that and then function like a normal person the next day? I feel like a more rotund, slightly crabby version of myself after those late meals.)

So, yes, the HolVor does affect me somewhat. But there are other aspects that don’t. I don’t travel to see family this time of year. Hubby and I have jobs that don’t make it easy to hop on a plane and fly hundreds of miles with other merry travelers. Years ago we accepted that what makes the holidays special is to be together, quietly in our home. It’s not what most people opt to do but it makes us happy. So while I’m sitting in my quiet house my friends are caught up in their own HolVors. In a day or two I’m going to issue missing persons reports. Where the heck has everyone been?! People I talk to and see on regular basis have been AWOL; victims of HolVor. I’m getting lonely, dammit!

My last official HolVor act was last night. Hubby and I went to a neighborhood party. We lasted until midnight. (How did we do this in college every weekend?) He fell into a deep sleep that led to an epic snoring binge. The cat and I fled Mr. Snory McLoud for the guest bedroom.

The HolVor will end abruptly on Monday. Then we can get back to our normal, less festive, holiday cookie-less lives. Not as interesting to be sure.

No comments: