Jan 23, 2009

Being Ordinary

This week we saw a new president sworn in. (Well sorta sworn in. Thanks, Mr. Chief Justice.) I had many thoughts going through my head about the history and significance. But I also had another thought that still hasn’t gone away:

Barack Obama is my age. He went to high school when I did. He even married the same year we did.

There’s something profound and yet sad about seeing your contemporaries rise to power and significance. It makes me wonder: how did I get to be a middle-America-cubicle-dwelling-Dancing-With-The-Stars-watching nobody? I had a good upbringing and education. I had the smarts and potential. And I chose to live an ordinary life.

So instead of bumming myself out with deep thoughts about my inadequacies (which is a little hobby I can pursue in my spare time), I’ve chosen to focus on what the new president and I have in common.

· We both listened to REO Speedwagon, Stevie Wonder and Journey in our youth.
· We know what show the phrase “Dy-no-mite!” came from.
· We made some bad fashion choices in the 70s.
· We wondered how it all went wrong for Michael Jackson.
· We still ponder why anyone thought the AMC Pacer was a good automotive choice.

So I take heart that the leader of the free world has the same frame of reference and maybe some of the same childhood experiences as I did.

Or I can put a headset on my cat and pretend he is my Secret Service detail.

No comments: