Oct 3, 2010

The Other Man I Love


Hubby is number one in my book. But if I had to name a runner up or second place finisher, I could do a lot worse than this man - Don Draper of Mad Men. He's a cad, a drunk, a womanizer and hot, hot, hot. A girlfriend and I were recently discussing his appeal. "He's just bad on all levels, which is what makes him so appealing," she explained.

Ah, the bad boy syndrome.

For centuries women have lusted, longed for and pursued the very men they knew would break their hearts. Over and over again.

Don is the bad boy poster child. He swapped identities with a dead soldier in Korea. He cheated on his wife until she threw him out (not for the cheating but the identity switcheroo). He drinks to excess and is not much of a father to his three children.

But look at him.

Books and articles have been written about why women fall for this kind of guy. Spare me the details. Hubby is the anti-Don and that is the way it should be. On Sunday evenings I get my Don Draper TV fix and move on.

Now gaze at the picture for a few minutes and tell me you don't understand the appeal. I dare you.


No comments: