Jul 14, 2010

Trend Setter

Count me as the last human being on planet Earth to begin, yes, begin, reading the Harry Potter series. The first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, was released in the U.S. in 1998. Know how long ago 1998 was? Here are some of the notable events (and tell me if you don't feel old just because you remember them):
  • The Monica Lewinski media circus and Bill Clinton's denial that leads to his impeachment
  • Europe agrees to establish the Euro
  • France wins the World Cup (France?!)
  • A gallon of gas cost $1.15
  • The hey day of the boy bands (N*Sync, Backstreet Boys, etc)
  • Magic Johnson tries his hand hosting his own late night talk show
  • The Mark McGwire/Sammy Sosa steroid home run derby
  • The Cosby Show is still on TV

Is it any wonder I feel a bit late to the party?

My 11 year old niece is egging me on to read the series. She, of course, has read them all at least once, but she'll take my hand and lead me from the world of the Muggles to Hogwarts and beyond. I'm almost done with the first book and I can see (only 12 years after everyone else) the appeal.

After I'm done I may watch the movie There's Something About Mary which also came out in 1998. I never saw it. So what the hell was I doing in 1998 anyway?

No comments: